Avondale University is seeking expressions of interest for a Head Librarian to join the team and provide strategic and operational oversight of Avondale’s Libraries.
Be challenged and imagine with us
This is an exciting role that will have you ensuring Avondale Libraries provide high quality and innovative information resources, services and programs in a changing higher education context.
You will provide strategic direction in the provision of best practice library services, and ensure compliance with government, copyright and University requirements.
You will also be responsible for the management and development of [email protected], Avondale’s research repository.
What will you do?
- Provide vision and leadership for the Avondale Libraries, ensuring that library resources and services support the needs of Avondale faculty, students and staff, and contribute to the achievement of the institution’s strategic plan;
- Manage the day-to-day delivery of quality library services;
- Lead, motivate, and support our library team;
- Oversee provision of information literacy skills to students and staff as appropriate, working with faculty to embed information literacy skills into the academic program;
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of library services and collections;
- Evaluate the appropriateness of library plans, policies, and strategies to ensure that the library meets the needs of Avondale;
- Develop and nurture library networks external to Avondale; and
- Ensure that policies and procedures are in place to maintain Avondale’s compliance with copyright legislation in both academic and non-academic areas.
To be successful in this role you will apply a professional approach to your work, you will be sure to keep abreast of current practices in library operations, as well as changes to industry standards. You will have high-level interpersonal and problem-solving skills with the ability to focus on contributing to a culture of innovation and a positive learning experiences for students.
Essential selection criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership and senior management experience with a proven record of achievement including the capacity to manage both staff and financial resources.
- Substantial experience in the provision of customer-focused library and information services, preferably in an education or academic environment.
- Knowledge of current trends and issues in academic libraries.
- High level interpersonal, communication, negotiation and consultative skills and the ability to facilitate collaboration between the library and key internal and external entities.
- Postgraduate qualifications with subsequent relevant work experience; or extensive work experience and relevant specialist expertise; or an equivalent level of knowledge demonstrated through a combination of education, training and/or work experience.
- Professional membership of ALIA (or eligible for membership).
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of anti-discrimination, EEO, WHS, copyright and other relevant legislation, policies and practices.
- Enthusiasm for the mission, values, and faith-based ethos of Avondale.
Desirable selection criteria:
- Experience of leading in a higher education Library environment.
For further information about the role, please email [email protected]
Salary: Level 8 $94,618 – $109,164 per annum, plus superannuation.
Email your application to [email protected], including:
- A brief cover letter addressing the selection criteria listed above (no more than 2 pages)
- A resume
- Contact details of three referees
Applications close on 31 March 2023.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia. Avondale is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right to make a delayed appointment, not to appoint, or to appoint by invitation.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This vacancy was written and advertised by the employer listed above.